Visiting Japan (Visa)


[Please Check the Home Page for Important Notices Related to Novel Coronavirus]

*The latest revision allowing travel back to Japan does not include tourist visas
Application for Visa for foreign nationals eligible for Phased Measures toward Resuming Cross-Border Travel


  1. Make sure you are qualified (Certificate of Eligibility)
  2. Once eligible, e-mail: visaboston [at] -- including the required documents for the Work & Long Term Visa or Temporary Business Visa
  3. Await reply for further instructions. Note: we have a 10mb maximum email size limit. If you do not receive a reply, we did not receive your e-mail.
Work & Long Term Visa  Temporary Visa for Business  
Be aware of fraudulent website, social media, emails in an attempt to extract payments from visa applicants
JAPAN VISA HOTLINE: 1-888-671-4583

Japan Visa Hotline

Monday through Friday (except for holidays)
  • Phone: 617-973-9772 from 9:00 AM to 12:15 PM, then 1:15 PM to 5:00 PM
  • In-Person Visits: 9:00 AM to 12:15 PM, then 1:15 PM to 4:00 PM


General Information

Generally, a national of a foreign country who wishes to enter Japan must possess a valid passport and a visa obtained from an embassy or consulate.

Applicants should be aware that a visa does not guarantee entry into Japan. The Ministry of Justice (the Immigration Office) has the authority to deny admission. A visa is used solely to make application for "Landing Permission", which defines the period for which a foreign national is authorized to remain in Japan, and the "Status of Residence", which determines the activities a foreign national is authorized to engage in in Japan. Landing Permissions are determined by the immigration official at the port of entry, not the consular official.

Criteria of Visa Issuance

A Japanese visa will be issued to an applicant when he/she meets all of the following requirements and if the issuance is considered to be appropriate.
(1) The applicant possesses a valid passport and is entitled to the re-entry to a country of his/her nationality or a country of his/her residence.
(2) All submitted documents are authentic, completed and satisfactory.
(3) The activities to be engaged in in Japan/ the civil status or the position of the applicant/ the period of stay meet the requirements for the status of residence and the period of stay stipulated in the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act (Cabinet Order No.319 of 1951. Hereinafter referred to as the "Immigration Control Act").
(4) The applicant does not fall under any of the items of Article 5, Paragraph 1 of the Immigration Control Act.

Exemption of Visa (Short-Term Stay)

U.S. citizens and citizens of other countries which have a reciprocal visa exemption arrangement with Japan may be eligible to visit Japan without a visa for a short-term stay for the activities allowed to "Temporary Visitors" (This visa category excludes profit-making operations and paid activities). For more information please check the visa exemption arrangements 


Do you need a visa to visit Japan?

Your circumstances Answer
If you will remain in the airport to catch the flight leaving Japan →→→ →→→ You don't need a visa.
If you have to move from Narita to Haneda and vice versa
or if you have to stay overnight to catch the flight leaving Japan
and if you are a U.S. citizen or citizen of the countries and regions exempted Temporary Visitor visa, →→→ You don't need a visa.
and if you are not a citizen of the above mentioned countries or regions and if you will not stay overnight, You need a Transit Visa.
and if your hotel is located around the airport,
and if you are planning activities other than transit You need a Temporary Visitor Visa.
If you will stay in Japan for 90 days or less for purposes not for paid activities or profit making operations and if you are a U.S. citizen or citizens of the countries and regions exempted Temporary Visitor visa, →→→ You don't need a visa.
and if you are not a citizen of the above mentioned countries or regions, →→→ You need a Temporary Visitor Visa.
If you will stay in Japan longer than 90 days →→→ →→→ You need a Long-term Stay Visa.
If you will work in Japan (for paid activities or profit making operations) →→→ →→→ You need a Work Visa.
If you are not sure if your activities in Japan are condidered as paid activities or profit making operations, Please check "Who can use a Temporary Visitor Visa?" before you ask our Visa Office.
If you are a spouse or child of Japanese national
or if you are a spouse or child of permanent resident
→→→ →→→ You need a Specified Visa.




○ Visa applications should be made at the Japanese embassy or consulate with jurisdiction over applicant's place of residency.
○ The Consulate General of Japan in Boston serves Connecticut (except for Fairfield County, which is under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Japan in New York), Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.


○ We do NOT accept the following:
----- visa applications from B-1 or B-2 visa holders,
visa applications from those who reside areas outside our jurisdiction,
visa applications by mail from areas outside our jurisdiction.

Those who need to renew your U.S. visa should be aware that the Consulate considers that the a petition / I797B / I20 / DS2019 does NOT guarantee issuance of a U.S. visa. Accordingly, we do not accept visa applications of those who arrange a U.S. visa interview at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate in their home country before the visit to Japan.
[Examples](:eligible for application×:not eligible for application)



Be aware of traffic rules in Japan

Dear travelers to Japan:It is recommended to take out an overseas travel insurance

  • An overseas travel insurance makes you feel secure, even in emergencies, and you can enjoy your trip. 
  • Medical expenses can be very high in Japan. If the travel insurance you purchased offers sufficient coverage of treatment costs, you can receive treatment without concern. 
  • It is recommended to have an overseas travel insurance with travel support for hospital referrals, medical interpretation, and cashless medical service.

Heat Illness Related Information

  • Useful links to the relevant information provided by the Japanese Government.
The next steps

STEP 2How to apply    Fees
STEP 3Temporary Visitor Visa    Transit Visa    Work Visa and Long Term Visa    Multiple Visa