Visiting Japan (Visa: Work Visa and Long Term Stay Visa)


[Please Check the Home Page for Important Notices Related to Novel Coronavirus]

*The latest revision allowing travel back to Japan does not include tourist visas


Check and confirm eligibility (Immigration Office in Japan)

Make sure you are qualified through the Immigration Services Agency of Japan. The certificate of eligibility is issued before the visa application by a regional immigration authority.

Please do not submit your CoE application to the Boston Consulate. After you receive the CoE issuance, please include it with the other necessary documents when submitting your visa application to the Boston Consulate.


Application for Visa for foreign nationals eligible for Phased Measures toward Resuming Cross-Border Travel

(i) Immigration Status
(ii) Visa application form (with photo attached)
(iii) Passport
(iv) Certificate of Eligibility
(v) Certificate for Completion of Registration to the System


Japan Visa Information Hotline

 (24/7 365 a Year, English)

This hotline is designated for visa applicants residing in the U.S. to answer general questions regarding visas. Domestic call fees will be charged.
The Hotline will not connect you to the Consulate General of Japan in Boston Visa Section. If you need to directly contact the Visa Section, please call 1-617-973-9772 during office hours.

Types and Categories of Visa
Specified visa (Spouse or child of Japanese national)  

If you came to this website from a search engine, please visit STEP 1 and STEP 2 first


Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

Applicants for visas for work and long term stay are required to submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).

A COE is issued before a visa application by a regional Immigration office under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Justice . Application for COE by a proxy (decided by the Immigration Control Act Enforcement Regulations) in Japan is allowed. Questions about how to obtain a COE should be made to a regional Immigration office.

Validity of COE

○ The period of validity of COE is three months from the date of issue; applicants must show visa along with COE at the time of landing in Japan. Therefore, applicants must obtain visa and enter Japan within 3 months from the issue date of COE.



Please note:
○ The Consulate declines incomplete documents; additional documents may be requested during the course of application/examination.
Do NOT staple your application.
○ The Consulate will not make copies.

Each applicant for Work or Long Term Visa must submit the following documents.

1. One application form ○ Completed and signed
(Chinese and Korean citizens must write their names in Chinese characters as well as in Roman letters.)

If the application form link does not open use this one.
2. Valid passport ○ Original (At least one empty, blank visa page is needed.)
and ○ One photocopy of ID page

If, instead of a national passport, you submit a PERMIT TO REENTER THE UNITED STATES or a REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT issued by the U.S. government, it must have a validity date at least six months beyond the day of application.

[ If you already have a valid Japanese visa in your passport]
○ A signed Consent form
3. One photograph ○ 2 inches square, taken within the previous six months of application, attached to the application forms
(The image should be straight looking, centered with neutral expression, with plain background)
4. Certificate of Eligibility ○ Original and one photocopy
5. [For non US citizens]
Immigration documents showing your legal status and permitting reentry into the United States
[Such as Green card or valid U.S. visa sticker]

○ Original and one photocopy

[An F or J visa holder must present the original and submit one photocopy of an I-20 or DS-2019 with the valid signature of an appropriate official allowing return to the U.S., in addtion to the visa sticker]

[ If you need U.S. visa renewal ]
6. [For applicants for "Dependent Status Visa"]
If the primary person already resides in Japan
○ One photocopy of the primary person's Resident Card

○ One photocopy of the primary person's passport
(page(s) with the Japanese visa and immigration stamp(s))