Visa FAQ's

Q1. Do I need a certain amount of validity on my passport?
Japan does not require a 6-month validity, as long as your ordinary passport (no travel document) is valid at the time of travel.

Q2. I have a criminal record/I have been arrested, can I still enter Japan?
An applicant with an arrest or criminal record can direct inquiries directly to Japanese Immigration.
Q3. Now I have a visa. Am I guaranteed entry to Japan?
Please note that a visa itself does not guarantee landing permission. It is one condition that applies to landing at a port-of-entry. You must obtain landing permission during immigration procedures.

Q4. I live in xyz. Can I apply at the Boston Consulate?
We accept applications from those who are residents of our area of jurisdiction.

Q5. I want to apply by mail. What additional documents do I need?

[IMPORTANT: Applicants should be aware that the Consulate does not bear any responsibility for the delay or loss of envelopes or passports by the shipping companies].
  • Applicants who reside outside of the City of Boston, Town of Brookline or City of Cambridge are eligible to apply by mail.
  • From one to three days after receiving a visa application by mail, the Consulate will call the applicant as one of the visa application procedures. If the applicant does not take the call, the Consulate will not process the application. Accordingly, the applications by mail usually take longer days than the applications in person, in addition to transit time between your place and the Consulate. If your visa application is pressing, you should apply in person (or by proxy) instead of application by mail.
Visa Office Location

Consulate-General of Japan in Boston
6th Floor,
100 High Street, Boston, MA 02110

Pick up (returning the passport by FedEx, UPS, or USPS with tracking)
Applicants who wish to have their passports returned by FedEx Air or UPS can submit a pre-paid, self-addressed return envelope with application documents.
(Any services requiring direct hand-over to the shipping companies should not be used).
○ We ship only to addresses within our jurisdiction (The New England region (except Fairfield County, CT)).

Q6. How long will it take to process my visa?
It should be noted that the Consulate does NOT provide visa expediting service.

  • The time to process an application for visa depends on the applicant's circumstances.
  • [Applications in person] In most cases, it takes five business days (excluding the date of application), if the documentation is in order.
  • The Consulate may make inquiries to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Tokyo. In such cases, over a few weeks or more are needed to process an application.

Q7. How much do completed visas cost?
Visa fees are determined according to reciprocal arrangements between Japan and the country of the applicant's nationality.

Please check the Visa Fee Page. We accept cash only. Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.

Q8. I am here in the US on B1/B2 or temporary status. Can I apply in Boston while I am here?
No, only those with long-term resident status in the U.S. and U.S. citizens can apply for a visa.
Proof of residency includes the following:
  • U.S. passport (U.S. citizen)
  • Alien registration card (e.g. U.S. green card)
  • Valid long-term visa (e.g. F1, J1, H1B, O1)
Q9. What documents do I need to submit for the eVisa application?
A9. Tourist visa applicants need to upload the following documents: (Please note that applicants may need to submit additional documents upon request)
  • Copy of a passport
  • Facial image
  • Proof of legal status in the U.S. (e.g. Permanent Residence Card or Visa)
  • Flight reservation
  • Proof of ability to pay travel expenses (in $USD)
  • Day by day schedule of stay
  • Proof of your residential address in New England (Form I-20 is acceptable for students under F1 visas)
  • Proof of approved entry into the third country/region if your direct destination after Japan is neither your home country nor the United States of America
  • Parental consent form (Required to submit if applicant is under 18 years of age and will be travelling without being accompanied by parents)
  • Authorization Form (Required to submit if the application is made by a representative)