The Consulate General of Japan in Boston is seeking a person for the position of Personal Assistant to the Consul General. The Consulate offers group health insurance coverage, twenty days of paid vacation per year, a number of paid U.S./Japanese holidays, three paid summer holidays, and sick leave. Salary is commensurate with academic and professional experience. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in international affairs or Japanese/American relations.
The position serves as a link between the Consulate and local governments, universities, and other organizations in New England. The ideal candidate will be someone flexible enough to work on multiple projects at the same time, have an understanding of the differences in Japanese and American cultures, can communicate effectively in both English and Japanese, and have the ability to make connections with a wide variety of local businesses, government agencies, universities, and other organizations.
Work hours: Monday–Friday 9:00 A.M.-5:30 P.M.
Lunch break: 12:15 P.M.-1:15 P.M.
Occasional overtime is required
The Consulate is located in the Federal Reserve Building in Boston. It is across the street from South Station, and is easily accessible by the Red Line, Silver Line, and Commuter Rail.
- Assist the Consul General in administrative duties. Examples are scheduling meetings, maintaining the Consul General’s calendar/schedule, drafting letters and e-mails, writing speeches, making contacts with local government agencies, businesses, universities, or other agencies, and assisting visiting delegations from Japan when they visit Boston.
- Assist with planning and setting up events such as luncheons, dinners, receptions, and other meetings.
- Other duties, including preparation of lists/documents from the Consulate’s database, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree, with a preference for specializations in international relations, Japanese/East Asian studies, or related disciplines.
- Fluent in English
- Japanese language skills preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to handle sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- Computer skills such as Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.
- Experience of living or working in Japan highly preferred
- Basic knowledge of relations between Japan and New England, especially in the Greater Boston area
- Candidate must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. green card holder. The Consulate is unable to provide visa sponsorship.
Please email a cover letter and your c.v. by September 12th, 2016 to email@example.com,
or mail your cover letter and c.v. to:
Attn: Ms. Carol Hansen, Consulate-General of Japan in Boston,
Federal Reserve Plaza, 22nd Floor, Boston, MA 02210
No phone calls please